Current:Home > NewsAn alleged Darfur militia leader was merely ‘a pharmacist,’ defense lawyers tell a war crimes court -Capitatum
An alleged Darfur militia leader was merely ‘a pharmacist,’ defense lawyers tell a war crimes court
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 11:26:40
THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — Defense lawyers told the International Criminal Court on Thursday that their client was not a Sudanese militia leader who had participated in war crimes, but rather “a no one” who had no involvement in the ongoing conflict in the nation.
Prosecutors say Ali Mohammed Ali Abdul Rahman Ali is better known as Ali Kushayb, a leader of the Janjaweed militia. He has denied 31 counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity in what the defense claims is a case of mistaken identity.
“The man sitting behind me was utterly a no-one,” defense attorney Cyril Laucci told The Hague-based court in his opening presentation.
Laucci says his client was working as a pharmacist at a market in a remote part of the Darfur region of Sudan during the conflict, which began in 2003, leaving some 300,000 people dead and driving 2.7 million from their homes.
Violence erupted when rebels from the territory’s ethnic central and sub-Saharan African community launched an insurgency, complaining of oppression by the Arab-dominated government in the capital, Khartoum. The government responded with a scorched-earth campaign of aerial bombings, and unleashed militias known as the Janjaweed, who are accused of mass killings and rapes.
Prosecutors claim the defendant was a senior commander in the Janjaweed militias from 2003-2004, acting as a go-between for the militia and the Sudanese government. According to the indictment, he even participated in some attacks against civilians.
“You will see that he took pride in the power that he thought he exerted and the authority that he had,” ICC chief prosecutor Karim Khan told the court when the trial opened in April of last year.
Abdul Rahman surrendered to authorities in the Central African Republic, near the border with Sudan, in 2020. In his first appearance at the ICC that same year, he said the charges against him were “untrue.” He faces a maximum sentence of life imprisonment if convicted.
The conflict in Darfur is the first investigation sent to the court by the United Nations Security Council and the defendant, now 74, is the first person from Sudan to go on trial. Sudan is not a party to the Rome Statute that created the ICC in 2002.
Earlier in the trial, judges heard from 56 witnesses who described horrific violence and the use of rape as a weapon to terrorize and humiliate women. During one massacre, Abdul Rahman allegedly told fighters: “Repeat, repeat for these people. Maybe there are some that you have missed,” according to one witness.
In July, Khan told the U.N. Security Council that his office was looking into possible new crimes after renewed violence erupted in Darfur.
The court has also issued arrest warrants for former President Omar al-Bashir, who is accused of genocide; former defense minister Abdel Raheem Hussein; and former interior minister and governor Ahmad Harun. All three men are currently detained in Sudan, which has refused to hand them over to the court.
veryGood! (37158)
Related
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Attorney, family of Black airman fatally shot by Florida deputies want a transparent investigation
- North Carolina may join other states in codifying antisemitism definition
- New York appeals court rules ethics watchdog that pursued Cuomo was created unconstitutionally
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- West Virginia trooper fatally shoots man who was stabbing another officer
- Landowners oppose Wichita Falls proposal to dam river for a reservoir to support water needs
- Technology crushing human creativity? Apple’s ‘disturbing’ new iPad ad has struck a nerve online
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Husband of Florida woman who went missing in Spain arrested in her disappearance
Ranking
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Serve up Style With These Pickleball-Inspired Fashions From Target, Lululemon, Halara, Spanx & More
- Below Deck Mediterranean's Aesha Scott Is Engaged to Scott Dobson: Inside the Romantic Proposal
- US may ban chemical used to make decaf coffee, but there are alternatives: What to know
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- NBA draft lottery: Which teams have best odds to reel in this year's No. 1 pick
- Social Security COLA prediction 2025: 3 things to know right now
- Indianapolis sports columnist won’t cover Fever following awkward back-and-forth with Caitlin Clark
Recommendation
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Marjorie Taylor Greene backs away from imminent threat to oust House Speaker Mike Johnson
Former Memphis officer hit with federal charges in on-duty kidnapping, killing
Donna Kelce Shares What Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift Have in Common
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Siblings, age 2 and 4, die after being swept away in fast water in California river
Indianapolis sports columnist won’t cover Fever following awkward back-and-forth with Caitlin Clark
Norfolk Southern shareholders to decide Thursday whether to back investors who want to fire the CEO